Friday, March 9, 2012

A Non-linear Sign

"You need to figure out what it is you want to do. You just have to."
My friend insisted, and told me that I need to focus on one thing.
"You don't have a path El.  You just aren't linear."

And believe it or not, that really hurt. And then I got frustrated.
So here is my response, for all to see.

I don't want to be linear. I don't want to be defined by data points coexisting in a line-like pattern.  I don't want someone to be able to look at me and think they have the full story. I don't ever want to discredit the signs and the events that are the "statistical outliers"of my life.  They happened for a reason. And who I am to discredit the improbable and the signs?

Further more, the most powerful forces of our universe aren't linear.  Sound WAVES...Light WAVES...Heat WAVES. Even water comes in waves (although I don't think that last one counts).

Are cosmic forces not enough proof for you that linear lifestyles aren't necessarily superior?

Fine. Then look at your heart.  Ever watch a heart monitor? The beat comes in waves.  If your heart decides to go linear, you flat-line. You quite literally cease to exist. And why on earth would you want to cease to exist?

So I will take my circus work.  My change in degrees, three times and counting.  My new experiences. My wavy mind and beating heart.  I do have a strong focus on my end goals.  But I will never avoid the journey it takes to get there.

And I will never be linear.

3 comments:

joeh said...

y U O I L
O G G R !


Cranky Old Man

joeh said...

It looked like a wave before I hit publish.

Cranky

Lara Schiffbauer said...

Keep with the waves - some people function better in the straight and some in wavy. Nothing wrong with either, and don't let anyone tell you differently. It only is wrong when people try to alter who you are by trying to make you feel less than for being it! It's like the whole plotter/pantser question. One is not better than the other, it's just two different ways to have written a book! The book still gets written!