Thursday, June 23, 2011

Don't Worry About Tomorrow

"Don't worry about tomorrow, you did that yesterday."
As I drove by this church billboard, I couldn't help but chuckle a little. Sure I did that yesterday, and I got up, went to work, did a nice job, and drove home past this sign yesterday too.  But today I read the sign.

And I disagree with the chipper attitude displayed hence. Sure I worried about tomorrow yesterday.  But the majority of my worries didn't accumulate until I woke up this morning. How am I going to make it through another long shift? How long can I postpone getting out of bed and still have time for coffee?  Will I have time to throw together a peanut-butter and jelly to-go for lunch? And that was only over the course of five minutes. Then starts in the to-do list: charge phone; don't forget ipod; get gas; study for test on sunday; practice lines; play music; clean car; don't forget to smile...

You know, maybe if I spend more time worrying about tomorrow, I'll be too exhausted to worry about today. And I'll get through, in a zen-by-default one day at a time attitude. And maybe I'll take up yoga, and spend hours meditating on the simplicity and deep complications of one single day....But that was the alarm on my phone. I don't have time for this today. Maybe I will worry about that tomorrow.

No comments: