Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Because A Wish Can Be A Sign Too

Everybody has had at least one storybook kiss.

So in honor of Valentine’s Day, here is a sign and my kiss.

It was an evening wedding in October. It was the first time I ever saw my then-boyfriend in a tux. He thought he looked hot. I rolled my eyes at him every time he looked at me. But I thought he looked good too.

The night wind rolled up the vineyard and through the open doors of the reception. We held hands and wandered onto the patio. Just to talk. Just to hold hands. Just to be so enamored with love and each other and the night and the air and the wine…

Then came that moment when all went suddenly still. He leaned in and kissed me, and I swear he kissed me straight to my heart.

Are you ready for the magical moment?

When I opened my eyes, I saw a shooting star.
Right there across the velvet sky.
I gasped and he pulled me closer.
“Did you see it?”
“Can you believe it?”
And two more stars shot across the October sky.
“It is a sign,” I whispered.
“Make a wish,” he insisted as he kissed me.  It was poetry.
As W. H. Auden wrote:

How would we like it were the stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If unequal affections must be,
Let the more loving one be me.

While my wish from that night hasn’t come true yet, I did learn a few things. I learned I have the capacity to be the more loving one and to love a more loving one. I learned I am worthy of storybook kisses. I learned to look to the stars for signs. Because they are always there.

And one day I will make them fall again.

Happy Valentine’s Day!



5 comments:

Nancy Thompson said...

Look to the stars. I like that!

Sara said...

That is such a cute/perfect story!

Cassie Mae said...

Super super cute!

Hope Roberson said...

That was really sweet! I look for signs all the time too :)

LynNerdKelley said...

Awesome! I've never seen a shooting star, but I know I'll see one some day.