Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It's All In the Shoes

Today was going to be hard. Normally I pair my outfit with a quirky hat to off set or distract everyone. But not today. Today I put my big girl boots on.

No, literally. I put my big girl boots on. I knew I was possibly up against ignorant people, entering with a fuse that is already awfully short to begin with.  I didn't want to attract attention with a hat or have a brim block the fire that was ready to shoot from my eyes. I slipped on my shoes and headed out the door.

Perhaps the universe thinks twice about messing with you, when you get up and immediately put your boots on. I didn't receive a single snide comment, resentful glance, or other various outcomes I am accustomed to upon returning from an unknown absence.

Instead I had more people acknowledge I was alive and well, with happiness and concern, than I have ever received.   I entered the morning guns loaded, ready to prove I don't need no-body, cuz ain't no-body gonna give a damn about me, only to be pleasantly surprised. I'm going to say it was the boots. And I'm going to say I've discovered what they mean by going out with your boots on.



No comments: